Our innovative, patent-protected biological products help growers to protect their crops from stress and diseases, and to produce higher quality fruit and vegetables in an environmentally sustainable manner while maintaining compatibility with mainstream agricultural practices.
Plant Health Care’s Commercial business is driven by sales of Harpin αβ, a recombinant protein which acts as a powerful biostimulant, promoting the yield and quality of crops.
Cost-effective products for sustainable agriculture
- Harpin αβ is sold as H2Copla into sugar cane in Brazil, through Coplacana, the largest distributor of inputs for this crop. Sales in Brazil sugarcane grew 100% under challenging drought conditions throughout 2021. In-market sales into the sugar cane market since 2019 have grown at 103% CAGR.
- The Group received registration for Harpin αβ in Argentina for use in corn and soybeans in August 2021 with first year sales planned for the 2022 cropping season.
- In September 2021, the Group successfully launched Saori™ in soybeans for Asian soybean rust control through our partner Nutrien.
North America (Corn)
- Harpin αβ is sold into corn through the second largest distributor in the USA. Farmers apply Harpin αβ to the seed prior to planting; the crop comes up stronger and taller and better able to resist stress such as drought. Higher yields result. Sales of Harpin αβ increased 29%, reaching 841,000 acres in 2021. In-market sales into the Corn market since 2019 have grown at 55% Compound Annual Growth Rate (“CAGR”).
North America (Fruits and vegetables)
- Harpin αβ is also sold into the specialty market through our partner Wilbur-Ellis. Sales of Harpin αβ increased 142% to 157,000 ounces in 2021 due to increased sales into the California almond and grape markets. In-market sales into the fruits and vegetable markets since 2019 have grown at 116% CAGR.
- In Spain, Harpin αβ is sold as ProAct AA, where sales into fruit and vegetable crops have now reached $1.2 million.
- Sales growth in Spain was driven by Harpin αβ sales into citrus and expansion into the greenhouse market.
- In the UK, Harpin αβ is sold through Headland, a major distributor supplying to the professional turf market. Many leading golf courses and football fields are greener and more resilient to abiotic stress as a result.
- The Group signed an exclusive Harpin αβ distribution agreement with UK market leader Agrii in July 2021.
- Plant Health Care Mexico sells a range of sustainable products to farmers in Mexico. Harpin αβ represented 23% of sales in 2021, with third-party products making up the remainder. Plant Health Care Mexico employs a staff of 16, including sales and technical specialists in the field, selling to retailers throughout the country.
- Sales in Mexico were held back in 2021 due to decreased domestic demand for fruits and vegetables and reduced plantings in Baja California due to adverse weather conditions.